Saturday, November 23, 2013

Waterfall: Rio Fortuna, Costa Rica

I have been in Costa Rica for eleven days now and I am just now getting a chance to write a quick post about my new home country. Every hour is jam-packed with wonderful activity and I’m never slowing down.

So far I have visited San José, Tortuguero, and La Fortuna. Today I am taking a bus to Quepos to begin my class to be certified as a TEFL maestra.

One amazing moment I can blog briefly about is the waterfall in La Fortuna. La Fortuna is home to Volcán Arenal (Arenal Volcano). It is a massive conical active volcano in the highlands that dominates the landscape and has occasional bursts of activity. In 1968 and 1993 there were two bigger explosions that caused death and destruction.



Upon our arrival in La Fortuna, we checked into the hotel and hiked about 3 kilometers up the road –solidly uphill and rather strenuous at times. We didn’t mind the hike, though, because every moment afforded a breathtaking vista.










We arrived at a park where we paid 5000 colones each to enter. Then we hiked down a sometimes-steep trail to the base of the waterfall of Rio Fortuna. There we discovered a massive, powerful, pristine waterfall pouring onto the rocks below.





Giddily I changed into my swimsuit and plunged into the cold mountain water to swim and laugh as the fierce waterfall caused ocean-like waves to lap against the sharp rocks.






I clung to the rocks around the edges and climbed up behind the waterfall. Its roar and power took my breath from my lungs. It turned out I wasn’t supposed to be there and an official had to blow a whistle a few times to get my attention. When I realized my error I promptly swam back.

After a couple of hours, we got dressed and began the steep hike back up to the trailhead. About halfway back we heard some rustling in the trees beside the trail. Lo and behold, it was a troop of howler monkeys coming to check us out!




I love Costa Rica. This was one small moment of my trip so far and I have so much more to share. Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment