Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bonaire: Oil Slick

We dove the inaptly named Oil Slick dive site in Bonaire twice: once on day 1 and again on day 2. I’m not sure why it’s called Oil Slick, because it’s a beautiful dive site with turquoise water and skittering crabs welcoming you to the site. You park, gear up, and giant stride off the cliff into the water, where it's a very short surface swim to the buoy marking the beginning of the reef.


Oil Slick ended up being one of my favorite dives in Bonaire, even though I don’t have much to say about it. The spot was peaceful and the reef was beautiful, though I’m told it was torn up a bit from a recent hurricane.


We saw the first of hundreds of spotted eels.


In all, Oil Slick was a great, relaxing dive site. My two dives there were 41 minutes at 84 feet, and 34 minutes at 90 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment